- Color and text styles are used to communicate a message, not for decoration. Don't detract from page content with too much flash and color.
- The page is organized for clarity: layout, text and media work together to communicate the page's content.
- Spelling and grammar should be as perfect as possible.
- Page headings are used to divide sections of text.
- Information is gained from a wide variety of sources: observations, original research, internet and print sources, experts and others.
- *At least 3 internet links. These are suggested guidelines, however, if you use information from a particular web site in your page, the standard we require is for you to cite the source of your information.
- *At least 3 references. These are suggested guidelines, however, if you use information from a particular source (book etc.) in your page, the standard we require is for you to cite the source of your information.
- *At least 3 images (at least one created by the author) to illustrate text.
- Images and media files must have proper copyright information.
- All necessary fields are filled out (e.g. titles, author information, learning information).
- **The page is attached to a relevant group of organisms.
*These content guidelines are suggested, not required.
** If you can't figure out which group to attach your treehouse to, we suggest giving it your best shot. However, you can also leave the page unattached and simply let us know in the page communication section that you aren't sure where to attach it. Also, some teacher resources will remain unattached to a group because it doesn't make sense to add them to any particular group.
Some standard design elements you will see on ToL pages are:
- Size eleven black text
- Bold text in brown
- Headings. Headings are titles used to divide a page into sections for different content areas. ToL headings are brown in color and some have a dotted line that runs underneath the text. In treehouses, the page title and some subheadings are the color that signifies a particular type of treehouse.
Pages that follow design and content guidelines:
Why do the pages below follow the ToL design and content guidelines?
Pages that do not follow design and content guidelines:
Why don't the pages below follow ToL design guidelines?
After editing, the pages below follow design guidelines. What could still be done to help them to better follow content guidelines?